Hydrangea Macrophylla Hardwood Propagation in London, United Kingdom
This is part two of a Hydrangea growth story. If you haven’t seen how this started, I recommend you first see part one. This update is really a lesson in patience and persistence, which many agree this is what gardening is all about. The original hardwood cuttings were put in rooting powder and planted into soil in August 2016, and the first signs of leaves appeared within a month. Since then, the cuttings were pruned right down and growth continued. In January 2017, the cuttings which hadn’t shown growth were carefully removed form the soil to check if they were viable. Surprisingly, the majority of them did show small little roots, so they were replanted in the same pot as the cuttings which had leaves.
Since I have had so much success with these cuttings, I have received a lot of questions about the rooting hormone I used, here is a link to the exact one I used on Amazon.
All of the growth so far appeared in Autumn 2016, so it was surprising to see new growth coming from a cutting 8 months later. This is encouraging and a lesson for all gardeners to be persistent. One other thing that the below picture shows is that some of the cuttings are hollow, these are definitely not alive, however the ones which aren’t hollow still have the potential to re grow. I think the new growth spurt is due to the longer days with more sunlight. As it is still early in the growing season, I am positive that we will see even more growth throughout the summer.
To recap on where we are, there are three different pots that these hydrangeas are in. There are two large pots, one of which all the leaves appear to be yellow-ish coloured, and then one small pot. From here onwards, I am going to refer to them as green pot, yellow pot, and small pot.
In May this plant was discovered to have a small bug infestation. They were small and white and only really noticeable in the small area of new leaf growth. I think they were whiteflies. This was rectified by weekly bug spray, but I’m unsure if the yellowing leaves is linked to this or just coincidental.
See part one of this project here
See our other plant stories here
Please get in contact if you have any growth stories to share!